International Students at UMHB

I want to get a driver's license

This site will give you all the information needed to qualify for and apply for the Texas Driver’s License.  You do NOT need a Social Security number to apply for a driver’s license.  Please look at the section called “Foreign Students” for information about identification.

The best advice we have for you is to ask your friends who already have a license!  They can give you good information because they have been successful.

If you live ON-CAMPUS:  please go to the Housing office and ask for a letter verifying your on-campus address.  The driver’s license office will not accept a letter from the International Student Services office; it must come from the UMHB Housing office.

IMPORTANT:  It is the law in Texas that you MUST have driving insurance!  If you drive your car or your friend’s car without insurance in YOUR name, you will be charged a huge fine if you are stopped.  If you have an accident without insurance, YOU are responsible for paying for everything, even the other person’s car if you caused the accident. 

You are very important to us!  We never want to hear that you’ve been hurt in an accident.  Please drive safely, and remember that other people make mistakes too.  Be careful to watch out for other drivers as well as yourself.  NO texting and driving!!  We care about you, and we want you to be safe.

And finally, remember that GPS is not perfect!  

Apply for License